Saturday, August 1, 2009

Run Your Family Like a Business

I am a stay-at-home mom. But, for 8 years I worked as a Knowledge Manager at a strategy consulting firm. I always quickly add that qualification in there when people ask what I do. Otherwise, I'm afraid I seem frivolous or hard to connect with or maybe just stupid.

Being a mom is hard. It is hard in the sense that people frequently acknowledge: kids require a lot of patience, there's a lot of housework to do, etc. But I find myself often drawing upon concepts and skills I learned at my job in order to be a better mom. Then it struck me: I can (or maybe, already am) run this family like a business. Like any good business, I need to consciously concentrate on a spectrum of necessities:

Strategy
Operations
Finance
Communications
Metrics
Work-life balance

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with your blog. You have a great opportunity to share your wisdom. I have 5 kids and have always been a working mom. That is until last year when I lost my job and was out of work for nine months. I wanted to be a stay at home mom but wasn't prepared with to have it as my full time job. It was challenging at the time but now I wish I had that stay at home job back. I would look at it from your current perspective. I'me looking forward to your blog stories and advice. :-)

    ReplyDelete